Monday, June 7, 2010

Home Sweet California

We got into Redding today! It was surreal to make the drive up I-5 like I have so many times before. A bubbly, giddy feeling permeated the car as Joshua and I began to see familiar signs and landmarks. The sun was glowing with the same happiness we had. When I saw Mount Shasta, I almost cried. Hoping I was not a lone sentimental fool, I once asked a friend if they understood the “coming home” feeling. She agreed that after a long time away, whether for a vacation or a move, there is something uniquely comforting about seeing places you know so well. Memories involuntarily dance across your mind and feelings of nostalgia give a soft edge to an otherwise jarring change in location.

We did not hesitate to start calling a few friends and letting them know we were back in town. In fact, we ended up having four people over for a spontaneous dinner and enjoyed one another’s company, hugs, and conversation. Life is sweet.


0 comments:

Post a Comment